In the accounts below details like names, dates, and more have been changed for reasons which should become apparent to readers. I also include a partial list of the actual events from which these stories are drawn for those who are interested.
[Caution: The accounts below may incorporate adult language, behavior, and concerns.]
Please click on a selection below
- What did geeks do before personal computers and the internet were widespread?
- Great balls of fire; (this section still being written up) A mid-seventies college internship relating to a small but secret military aircraft prototype program expands my personal horizons into the sky. Ever hear of fuel-air explosives? This plane used similar tech for propulsion and amazing maneuvering capabilities. No, I didn't get to fly it. I wouldn't have if I could!
- Me and my Moonshadow flying wing
- The poor man's airship and A safe and economical commutor VTOL concept
The summer of 1976.
- First flight; (this section still being written up) Moonshadow takes wing, and I almost get taken by the wild blue yonder.
- A whole lot of shaking going on; (this section still being written up) Remember that margarine commercial on TV where Mother Nature says "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!"? Well, for me this episode provided some vivid illustrations of that point. I used to revel in driving Shadowfast during violent thunderstorms. Moonshadow though was a whole different story. And the sky nothing like the road. I had to get slapped around some to learn this lesson.
- Air command; (this section still being written up) I set up my own little farming empire in the vicinity of various mountain tops near the border of a national park. Protected by remoteness, altitude, and lack of roads-- plus my own visits being made solely by air in the dead of night-- my camps and crops were safe from almost everything.
The true source of this page is
The summer of 1977.
- A ghost of a chance; A great season has to be cut short, Moonshadow left open to possible discovery, and my own life put at risk when I hurt myself in the wilderness and have no one around to help. Being a secretive lone wolf has its drawbacks.
The summer of 1978.
- Surgical strike; (this section still being written up) An enemy air force poses various threats to my operation. So remedial measures must be taken. In the 1970s the government was still developing its own stealth aircraft. It sure as hell didn't expect civilians to already have their own.
- Playing with fire; (this section still being written up) Here I learn even young hotshots with their own stealth airships shouldn't tweak the government's nose. Yow! But in 1970s America even an impoverished young man might sometimes believe himself to be invincible.
- The Orson Welles gambit; (this section still being written up) Mimicking a UFO with Moonshadow was easy. But costly. In more ways than one. But it had to be done.
a - j m o o n e y h a m . c o m - o r i g i n a l
- Moonshadow versus the Hornet; (this section still being written up) It turns out I'm not the only outlaw farmer in the region who can fly. But there can be only one. How does a lumbering whale fight off a small, fast shark? By having teeth in unexpected places.
- Lights, guns, action; (this section still being written up) The pilot of the dispatched Hornet returns. With friends.
The summer of 1979.
- The maiden of the mountains; (this section still being written up) One beguiling mystery sets me up for another.
- In over my head; (this section still being written up) A near fatal encounter with another covert air operation in my mountains piques my curiosity and I ruin everything by poking my nose where it doesn't belong. This spelled the end of Moonshadow, and almost me too. It would also ultimately pull me into a realm of mind-boggling secrets and insane complications...
- Notes from the owner/pilot of the original Moonshadow airship; Or, some pointers regarding the real life people, places, aircraft, and events which inspired these accounts.
- More coming soon!
Copyright © 2005-2007 by J.R. Mooneyham. All rights reserved.
Anything you see below this point was put there by a content thief who stole this page and posted it on their own server.