ONE MINUTE SITE TOUR
Latest site updates
Search this site
Random Name Generators (and Lists) for Everything
Any of us might need to come up with a name or word for something on a moment's notice: a project for school or work; a book title; a boat; a place; a fictional person; a common name or word from the 1800s; a name with a particular meaning or symbolism; a business; even a child or pet. This page is meant to help with such things.
- Name Age Calculator allows you to estimate how old someone probably is based solely on their name.
- Google Ngram Viewer (name/phrase dater) allows you to enter a given name or phrase to see how frequently it appeared in texts throughout a particular range of history.
- List of most popular given names today, by world region - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Baby Name Lists - Nature, Place And Word Names offers up baby name suggestions from various sources including words which can mean a particular kind of animal, biblical location, baby birds, New York city landmarks, celestial names (constellations, stars, etc.), holiday-related, colleges, colors, acceptable days and months, flowers, fruits, French and Italian words, inspirational, jewels, minerals, metals, and lots more. If you're looking for an unusual and/or intriguing name that's likely to be rarely run across on the street, this is the place for you.
- Popular Baby Names by decade or state (from today back through the 1880s); the link The most popular baby names given each year to boys and girls in the United States from 1880 to the present seems to derive from the first site, info-wise.
- 1000 Most Popular Names of the 1890s
- Victorian era names (circa 1840s-1890s)
- Medieval English Names
- Medieval Favourites - British Baby Names
- A selection of interesting Medieval Names
- Renaissance and Regency Rummage Repository: Regency era names.
- List of biblical names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Fantasy name generators. Names for all your fantasy characters isn't kidding. But it's also not telling you that this site may be the reigning champion of fantasy names generation online, with categories ranging from characters to places to monsters. So if you're writing fantasy, this is a resource you ignore at your peril (for your competitors surely won't). In addition to all that, the site also provides a wealth of modern names, drawn from many countries; names related to popular films, video games, and books; mythological creatures; and places and planets both modern and ancient. Seriously speaking, many of us may never need another source of names other than this one (it's that good).
- Seventh Sanctum describes itself in this manner: a collection of "...random generators of ideas, from story concepts to science fiction weapons to extremely silly spells." And this means generators not just for general concepts, but very specific ones too, like corporation names and magic spells and equipment. Basically Seventh Sanctum may supply whatever names and ideas that none of the other links on this page do.
Still more naming possibilities may be found in A list of great random character name generators | OngoingWorlds roleplay blog